Saturday, January 19, 2013

When A Friend Moves Away....

So I guess we really are growing up. You meet people, you get to like people, you marry one of them (hey baby!), you build friendships, then some up and decide they are changing zip codes on ya. Yep, Sonnie Gee is off the single scene (and off with a Prince Charming that hails from North Carolina). He charmed her out of our 'see you in ten at mi ranchito' zone and now it's gonna be a flight or more away (happy hour will long be gone gal!!!).

I am so sad!!!

And happy for her at the same time.

Did my friends feel the same way when I got married and sorta 'disappeared' from the social scene as a single woman? Did they feel 'left behind', 'jilted', 'dropped', 'neglected', even a tard bit upset that the musketeer club was breaking apart? I know I feel that way right now with Sonnie up n sayin' she is leavin' on a jet plane to who knows where in NC.

You see, Sonnie is one of those friends I have, we don't talk often but pick up like time never mattered when we do get on the phone. She is super lady-like and carries a hair brush which she uses hourly when out, she retouches her lipstick a hundred times, she wears heels like 24/7. She is too cute! :-) I don't do any of that girlie stuff. She loooooves attention and her beauty demands it (this Mr. Right better keep up the attention). I'm cool being in the booth and watching people as I sip on my margarita. She loves flowers, my Lord she does! I think she should have a rose garden in her backyard in NC. I doubt Sonnie deals with acne or breakouts. Her face is always perfect. Saiya and I on the other hand have shares with Mary Kay tryna fight acne....and I am 30 years old for God's sake! She likes her bourborn from a flask, crystal. The only other time I had ever seen one was on TV (The Bold & The Beautiful). I could go on and on about the precious little things I know about Sonnie but the greatest is that she has a heart of gold that even she does not know I don't think. She might be all Barbie Doll (in a good way) on the outside, but inside she is an angel. And I will miss that.

She says she has found Mr. Right.....for that reason I am super excited for her. I try to keep in touch with my girlfriends so that they don't feel so forgotten with me having gotten married and all.  And I love that my husband reminds me to call and check on them when he hasn't heard me say their names in a couple of days....so sweet! I hope Sonnie does too (I am thinking about myself here).

Now that is one less fish in the sea (well, and one less fisherman at that so I guess the market forces remain as they are). 

So I am already planning a trip up there sometime in my head (already!). I meet her tonight for a bite to catch up and say our fare wells till we meet. But it changes stuff when a friend moves away. You don't see them often when they are close, but when they move you miss them so much! You don't notice their absence much when they are a short drive away but when they change states you suddenly feel like the city is empty without them. It's messed up but I am happy for her.

Friends add flavor to life - some when they come, some when they go :-).  Sonnie addds a vibrancy to my life that only she can. This does not sound like she is dying does it? It is not a eulogy people! I am celebrating friendship.

I will miss Sonnie Gee but I know come summer time (May 11th to be specific), she better show up for my graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment